For those of you that have been wondering, I thought it was time I shared what varieties of tomatoes we planted this year. Our favorites are heirloom varieties because their flavor is just so earthy and amazing! This year, we planted 5 varieties we've had in the past and loved, as well as 6 varieties that are new to us. I'm excited to EAT these babies!! Grow, tomatoes, grow!
This year, we planted 11 plants total (one more than last year) -- 9 are regular sized tomatoes, and 2 are 'cherry tomato' varieties. Here's what we planted...
1. Black Krim -- one of our top two favorites of all time! Such a rich, earthy flavor...oh, they're just delicious. Not a super thick skin, not a ton of seeds. They're just good. Really good.
2. Black Krim -- we planted two of 'em, cause they're that good. ;)
3. Park's Whopper -- this one is new to us this year. Hope it's awesome!
4. Black Cherry -- we've never done 'cherry tomatoes' before and were super excited to find these dark 'purple' looking ones.....hopefully they'll taste a lot like Black Krims and Cherokee Purples!
5. Sun Gold -- another new one for us....a yellow cherry tomato variety! YUM. (hopefully! Haha!)
6. Arkansas Traveler -- new for us
7. Cherokee Purple -- the other of our top two favorites!! We love this one for the same reasons as the Black Krim.
8. Cherokee Purple -- Yep. We planted three of 'em. :)
9. Cherokee Purple
10. Brandywine Black -- new for us, though we've tried other Brandywine varieties in the past. They haven't ever done really well for us, so we'll see how this goes. I know a lot of people love Brandywines.
11. Striped German -- one more new one for us. Don't they just look so pretty on the tag?! Plus, they look super meaty and not very seedy!
Excited! Now we just have to wait approximately 70 more days till we can eat them! Haha. Patience is not my strong suit. ;)
Have you tried any of these varieties yourself? How did they taste? How well did they produce for you? Let's talk tomatoes!
P.S. In other news, our dear Aussie friends (John & Lynn) are coming tomorrow for a visit and we are sooo excited! It's gonna be fun around here! :)